Ashfield Civil Engineering Centre
Sutton in Ashfield
PROJECT STATUS: Development underway
REGENERATION STRAND: Succeed in Ashfield
ADDRESS: Vision West Nottinghamshire College, Julias Way, Sutton in Ashfield, Nottingham, NG17 7RB
The Engineering Innovation Centre at Sutton in Ashfield will be a specialist hub for students at various levels of mechanical and electrical engineering, and motor vehicle maintenance. Vision West Nottinghamshire College (VWNC) will develop a new curriculum with a focus on trades including civil engineering, transport, and environmental engineering.
The plan is to replicate an outdoor working site to provide a real world experience for young people to prepare them for work. This will complement the curriculum being generated for the new Ashfield Construction Centre project, with the aim being to create a regional skills hub for Ashfield.
The engineering centre site will expand the number of learner spaces and be based close to the existing construction and engineering centres at the college campus in Sutton. VWNC’s development programme will support the future skills requirements for more specialist construction areas and address the skills shortage in a rapidly changing construction industry.
New courses will include:
• Construction Engineers - transportation of materials and site development, evaluating logistical operations, reviewing contracts, and coordinating contractors
• Structural Engineering - bridges, flyovers, and other buildings
• Transportation Engineering - construction and maintenance of all forms of public transportation systems including roads, railways, ports, and airports
• Geotechnical Engineering – understanding soil science and material science, as well as the mechanics and hydraulics involved in safely designing a range of structures and buildings
• Environmental Engineering - solid waste treatment/management, treatment of water sources, and improving the quality of water and air. Understanding of atmospheric sciences and hydrology.
By having this facility the aim is to increase the share of young people and adults who have relevant skills for employment and entrepreneurship.
Keep up with developments on regeneration projects in our news section.